I love decorating my home with quote prints mixed in amongst photos and artwork. There’s something quite chic about the letters being in gold. Create a stunning gold word or short phrase to add a bit of shimmer to your walls or shelves.
// watercolour paper
// gold leafing sheets
// small cloth or extra brush
// adhesive for gilding (for gold leaf)
// clear varnish sealer
// black ink (to practice with)
1. Decide on the word or phrase you want. Start writing it on paper in different ways and layouts, practicing the lettering until you are happy with how you want it. Use a brush with black ink to practice the strokes and get a feel of the brush as that’s how you’ll be applying the adhesive on the paper. It’s best to have the letters quite bold and not too thin.
2. When you are ready, take your sheet of watercolour paper and write your phrase down using your pencil. Erase mistakes and do over until you are happy.
3. Use a brush dipped into the adhesive gilding and paint over your pencil sketch. It’s hard to see the glue as it’s clear but if you turn the paper towards the light you’ll be able to see where you’ve painted. Really make sure you’ve got enough of the adhesive down on the paper, not a super thin coat and not a thick glob but something in between.
4. Wait a little bit for the adhesive to get tacky and lay your gold leaf sheet over the top. It’s okay if your sheet isn’t big enough, just take another and patch up where it didn’t reach. Pat the leafing down with a cloth or separate brush very gently making sure it adheres to the glue.
5. The gold leaf will work quite fast on the paper but you’ll need to wait 10-15min for it to dry. Then slowly start ripping the excess gold leaf off around the letters. Using a brush, or your finger with a soft cloth, start removing the gold leaf closer to the edge of the letters. If you’ve applied enough of the gilding adhesive it should come off quick cleanly. But if you haven’t (like me) then some of the gold leaf will actually come off the letters (see that V?). Don’t worry! We can fix this!
6. All you need to do is apply more of the gilding adhesive with the brush and gold leaf again. Patch up all the little areas that the gold leaf didn’t stick to the first time.
7. Brush off all the excess gold leaf. If you have a frame to put this in, then you are done! If you want to protect the quote, paint or spray a clear varnish sealer over the top. Wait for it to dry and voila!